Monday, August 26, 2013

Triathlon

Z participated in a triathlon at the end of August.  After he ran his race for Read Right and Run in April, and took swim lessons in June, we started talking about the possibility of doing a triathlon.  This one was a 25 yard swim, 1 mile bike, and 1/2 mile run.  He was pumped about it!  He was especially excited that he would be the first one in our family ever to do a triathlon.  When I showed him the flyer about it and asked if it looked ok (figuring he would look at the distances like I had), he read it over and commented, "Well, everyone gets a medal, so that seems like it would be fine."  Oh, this boy :) 

I did a bit of running with him (not much, though, to be honest) and we had him practice swimming at the pool a few laps, but that was all he "trained" for it.

He was kind of nervous at first (me too!) because he wasn't really sure what it was going to be like.  We had some friends who had done this one before so they gave us both the lowdown and we were better prepared.

We got there with plenty of time and got his number written all over him :) 



 He and 3 other kids tied for last in the swim portion (one length of the pool).  To be fair, most of the kids had actual swim team shorts on...and Z has never swum a race before!
 He jumped out of the pool and I met him to help him dry off and "transition" to his bike.  This is one of my favorite pictures of him!!
 He did great on the bike part!
 He came back after the bike portion and guzzled some water, then took off for the last leg, the 1/2 mile run. 
 He did great and ran the whole way!  I know he was tired but kept on going!

 He showed off his medal to his brothers :)

 Oh, my, I was so proud of him!!!
His final time was 14:43 (this is mostly future reference for me and him!).  Of the 7 year olds, he came in 11/19 total and 11/15 boys.  Pretty proud of this big kid!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment