Friday, August 16, 2013

First Days of School

After a long and fun filled summer, school has finally begun.  I have mixed feelings about it.  On the one hand, I am ok to see Z go...they have all been getting a bit nutty here, fighting a bit, etc.  On the other hand I kind of hate letting him go for 7+ hours a day :( 

He started 2nd grade on Tuesday.  I am beyond thrilled with his classmates!  S from across the street is in his class again, and so are his 2 best pals (R and B).  There is another boy (J) that I am glad he is in class with...J's sister played on the littles t-ball team and I love his family :) Z tends to be slow to warm up to people, and is generally pretty shy and reserved at school, so it is HUGE for him to have his best buds in class with him (so with him for lunch and recess too).  I'm hoping that he will continue to gain confidence over the years because he probably won't be with them every year.
 
The teacher seems to be nice, but I am bummed that she is pregnant so will be taking off for a bit in February.  However, the class makeup seems to be VERY good, so I think it should be smooth.  It is nice to be at a point now with his school that I know some parents, a good number of the kids, the teachers, etc, so that I am comfortable and familiar with it all just like he is. 

Here he is, looking bigger all the time!  His shirt of choice this year:  Chima.  :)




S and Z.  This was the last picture I took in a series...they had been wrestling with each other as I told them to put their arms around each others shoulders...he was, in fact, smacking her bottom here.  Those two... :)


R, Z, and B.  Z is one of the tallest, and I think B is one of the shortest kids. 
On the first day of school we always eat ice cream for dinner :)
The littles first day was Thursday (they all wanted to know if, in fact, we would be eating ice cream for dinner on Tuesday, too....?)
They will be going to school Tuesday and Thursday again this year.  I am still in a Bible Study on Wednesday mornings and it has a great curriculum for the kids, too, so I feel like that is a third day of school for them.  Their school has undergone some major transitions, so I am still unsure of my feelings on all of the changes.  I think their teacher will be ok, but their class is way bigger than last year (18) and due to some of the changes there might be different kids with them on Tuesday and Thursday, which (in my mind) disrupts the community within a class. 
The good news was that they were very excited to start, so I can't complain about that.  (The funny part is that they were most excited about getting to school to play with Legos...because we don't do that enough at home?!)

C chose Ninjago...

L chose Angry Birds...
N chose Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Heros in a Half Shell Turtle Power (and yes, he says that entire statement if you ask him what is on his shirt!)





I told them to hold hands and walk in.  It was so cute last year. This year they attempted some ring around the rosie thing.  Goofballs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment