2005: My first Mother's Day wasn't really even a Mother's Day. At church, they handed out carnations to the moms. I, of course, wasn't a mom...we were trying to get pregnant that year. My mom handed me her carnation, and said "I hope that you will get your own next year." I got pregnant with Z later that month.
2006: I look like I'm 12 in this picture...seriously! So young, so happy. And Z, what a bowling ball he was. Anyone else remember that about him? Short and fat and round. That year we had Nate's parents in town, and my mom came over for lunch as well.
2007: I think Mom was still staying with us on this Mother's Day. She had just had her second bone marrow transplant, and stayed here for a few weeks. Love that bald head. This was her last Mother's Day. Man, I miss her.
2009: We laid low this year, as well, but for a totally different reason. Looking at this picture, compared to the first...wow, did those babies age me! I look old, tired, fat. And really, I was those things last year. But look at all those sweet boys surrounding me! The babies were still so small. (C, N, L, Z)
2010: I like to think I don't look as tired and fat in this picture. Happier, less sleep deprived, and older...wiser, maybe? (L, N, C, Z). Look how far my boys have come in a year...how far we have come in a year. How far we have come in 5 years. Feels like an eternity...yet a blink.
I have been thinking today about being a Mom. It is something I have ALWAYS wanted. I always had the desire to be a stay at home mom...to have children, to love them, to be mom. I love being with my kids daily, I love watching them grow. I love seeing new things they do. I love being the one to KNOW them...if they are ok, if they are not, if they are crabby, if they are tired, whatever. It is harder than anything I have done or ever will do, but I love it.
Being a mom is an amazing and wonderful honor and privlege. Mom is the best name I could ever be called...it is the hardest I have ever worked for a title. It didn't happen nearly the way I expected. At all. 5 years ago, I would never have seen my life this way. But man, I sure wouldn't change it. I am so grateful for my husband, who allows me to be the kind of mom I want to be, and to my boys, for giving me a job. Love to all my boys, and Happy Mother's Day to all you mama's out there, doing the hardest and best job in the world.
great post. thanks!
ReplyDelete