Tuesday, August 12, 2014

First Day of School

I can't believe that my BABIES are in kindergarten!!!
They are thrilled to start.  Z is not looking particularly forward to going back to school...summer is pretty fun :)
The boys will not be going to the same school that Z is going to this year.  There has been some major drama in the kindergarten sector of our school district over the past few months. 
Long story short, in mid-May the district decided that they were going to move to free full day K for the fall, but that they would still offer half day K.  I am adamantly against full day for MY boys.  I fully understand the rationale for working parents, for students who need some extra help, for parents who are sending their first child and will have to send all the rest of their kids full day eventually, for parents who are sending their last child and the last child is bored at home....totally get it.  In our situation though, I don't think our boys need it.  We have no concerns for them academically or socially, and sending them full day instead of half day certainly won't help their behavior.  I want to be able to take them places and see stuff and run and play outside for one more year before they're in school all day for the rest of their lives. 
So I told the district that I was still interested in half day.  They assured me in mid-May that there would be a school in our area with a half day class. 
Imagine my shock when I got a call in late June that there would only be ONE half day class in the entire district this fall.  22 minutes from my house.  Not in my area.  Not feeding into our middle or high school.  To say that I was upset is an understatement. 
We decided to make it work, though, since I feel so strongly about it.  It means that Z will have to ride the bus to school, and that immediately after he gets on the bus we will have to haul our tails up to the littles school.  They arrive just exactly on time.  Then 20 minutes home, 2+ hours for me to do stuff, then back again for the next 45 minute commute.  We were worried that Z and/or the boys would be upset that they all weren't at the same school, but I am the one having the most problems with that...they don't really seem to care.  I'm just annoyed in general and annoyed at the littles school (even though it is not remotely that individual school's fault).  
The boys don't mind.  They are fine reading books in the car as I drive.  The only person it really affects is me...and that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.  I occasionally will stay out there to run errands, but for the most part I will just head home.  It's a pain and costs money but probably less money than if I just stayed out there to run random errands ;) Also, 2+ hours by myself in the house every day is still huge!


The boys each get to pick out a new back to school shirt.  Most often, it is something I would never choose for them.  However, we want them to feel 100% awesome on their first day...and looking the part is part of that. 








The boys were examining something as they waited for the bus.  They were out there and ready at about 815 when the bus is supposed to arrive at 833.  Fairly certain this is the only day that they will be up and ready that early ;)

Reading in the van.  They could not care less about the commute. .




Celebratory first day of school ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment