In the fall I signed Z up for a Read, Right, and Run Marathon with Go! St. Louis. He had to run (over the course of 6 months) 26.2 miles, read 26 books, and do 26 "right" deeds. The books were easy, and the "right" things were pretty arbitrary (we should be more deliberate next year), but I was kind of worried about the running. Before I signed him up, in fact, I made him run a mile with me a few times.
I wasn't sure what he would think about the running. The first few times were like pulling teeth, but then he got into it. Most of the time I would grab him for a mile at the end of my long runs. He really started to enjoy it. He was not fast at all, but he just kept plugging along (kind of like me!). I think he really enjoyed just spending undivided time with me. He just talked and talked...we talked about things he liked, his ideas for things, whatever. On our last run we talked about curses and hypnotism. So random.
But he loved it. In fact, when I told him that RRR was Saturday, he asked if that meant we were done running. I told him it could, but it didn't have to. He decided he didn't want to be the end. He was intrigued by the idea that there were teams just for running. I actually told him about triathlons, since he is so good at running and biking. I told him he would have to learn how to swim well, and when he learned he would be the FIRST person in our family to complete one, he was all over it. Just have to work on that swimming now.
Anyway. It has been really fun. I have enjoyed the one on one time as well.
So, his race was Saturday. We got loaded up and headed down to Forest Park...and it was crowded! We had a fair piece to walk but all the boys did fine (on the way there!).
Nate and the boys kind of hung out while I chatted with some other moms and got Z all set to go. He ran wonderfully (and it wasn't timed). He was so proud of his medal...and we were so proud of him too, and all his hard work! It was such fun to cheer for him and a few of his buddies.
After the race we had a picnic with another family. We brought the kites (thanks Papa Mike and Grandma Dorothy, we finally used them!) and the kids ball gloves. We played for awhile and ran around and just had a fun morning and afternoon! It was a beautiful (windy) day and it was perfect :)
No comments:
Post a Comment