The boys (well, Z) have somehow gotten it in their heads that if we go on vacation we will go to a beach. (Um, that might have been my doing.) I knew that we could somehow make it to some beach of some sort while we were visiting, anyway. For this year, since we didn't want to drive too much farther, we opted for Chesapeake Beach. (In the future, when the boys are older, we might actually make our vacation a bit longer and go to Virginia Beach or Outer Banks or someplace real for a day or two as part of our visit.) I really debated whether or not to go because we could only find beaches you had to pay for (really?!) and I was worried they would be dirty and over an hour away...but I had 4 boys who were excited to go to the beach and I read about how there were tons of fossilized sharks teeth you could find and I knew Z would love that... Sooooo, we went.
Turns out the actual water/sand was not dirty. But the beach we paid for had trash, no lifeguards, no toilets, no running water, no trash bins, no nothing. Oh, but it did have 5 college kids sitting at the 2 entrances, one that was busy making a poster that said "It's Jellyfish season". Not really sure what we paid for. We wouldn't have minded it if it was free, but the fact that we paid for it was pretty annoying. Anyway.
We got to go pretty far out and swim, and there were small-ish waves. When we finally figured out what they looked like (had to ask a family next to us), we found several sharks teeth! Z was having a great time looking for them, and so was I :)
We ate lunch, then went back out in the water for a few more minutes. We had been warned of jellyfish, but I hadn't seen any all morning. When we went out after lunch, though, I thought I saw one so steered the boys in the other direction. Not 2 minutes later, Z started rubbing his arm and saying it hurt. We're pretty sure he probably just got barely touched by a jellyfish. It was reddish but he wasn't freaking out, but he did keep complaining about it, so we went to the entrance and got some vinegar to put on it, which apparently takes the sting away. About half an hour later he had forgotten about it...but he wasn't about to go in the water again! As we walked along the shore, though, we saw several more, so we didn't mind not getting in again.
As we walked we found some dead crabs washed up on shore...another fun and exciting thing for the boys. Nate got one and cracked its pincher off, so we added that to our shark tooth collection. Fun, fun times!
We walked on the boardwalk beside the bay for awhile, just looking out, then headed back in to go home for the day.
Before we left, though, we found an ice cream place for treats. The boys got the nastiest looking ice cream (neon blue, pink, and yellow...gross) and they were filthy! Needless to say, they all passed out on the way home!
It looked so nice as we first walked up :)
Z and his box of shark teeth and crab claws. I loooove this picture.
Examining the dead crab.
The boys are looking for fish.
No comments:
Post a Comment