Saturday, October 29, 2011

Trunk or Treat

Here begins our weekend of costumes! 

Our church's Trunk or Treat is always our Trick or Treating trial run.

Z decided months ago to be a vampire, so I asked Dorothy to make him a cape, and it turned out great!  I talked him into getting some black hair spray, and he was excited for the face paint.  As we checked out, he asked "will my hair stay black forever?".  So I joke and say, "YUP!", and he says, "but why do you want my hair to be black?"  He still doesn't quite get sarcasm...and it almost cost me his black hair.  When we got home it took some major convincing and me coloring a strip of my own hair black in order to get HIM to let me dye his hair!  He finally gave in though, and it was so fun to see him with black hair!  In fact, when I went to pick him up at the end of the night (we had a church meeting after Trunk or Treating) I didn't even recognize him from the back, and left to go look for him elsewhere.  :)  I started to do the paint, but I was terrible at it, no big surprise there.  Nate took over and did a MUCH better job. 

As far as the little boys costumes...wow, it took some work to get them.  Z was a dragon when he was their age, so of course I recycled his costume.  I had a friend who let me borrow a green one for N, and I figured I could get the last one from Old Navy.  But when I started looking (3 weeks before Halloween, so I wasn't totally procrastinating!), there were none online.  And none in ANY Old Navy in the state.  And I lost 2 bids on Ebay for costumes.  Seriously?! I finally checked on CraigsList, and found one cheap that was about 35 minutes away.  So off I went.  I'm glad I got them all...but I didn't love that I had 2 green and 1 red.  I like them either to all be the exact same or all different but coordinating (if only Old Navy had made a yellow one!).  At any rate, they were still super cute :)

I insist that Z tell a joke on Halloween...I am hard core St. Louis like that.  This year it was:  What is a vampires favorite candy?  A sucker.  So he would walk up to the trunk (or door on Halloween), barely look the person in the eye or say Happy Halloween or Trick or Treat, and he would mumble out his joke and answer...and most of the time the adult had no clue what was going on.  We're going to have to work on delivery!  He was great at saying thank you, so that was good.  The little boys clearly couldn't do a joke, so I was content with them just saying Trick or Treat and having them look the adult in the eye and say thank you.  Next year, though....










No comments:

Post a Comment