Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bye bye, Pacis!

We were given loads and loads of pacifiers from the NICU.  If they hit the floor there, they could not re-use them.  So many "dropped" and we took them home.  At one point I remember counting at least 36 pacifiers!

C and N loved them.  L became a thumbsucker, but he loved to just hold on to a pacifier.  They have only had their pacis at night and naps for probably over a year now.  But the numbers of pacis have been dwindling.  Some got lost, and some started getting cracks in them from so much use.  Not only is that probably not safe (since small parts might break off), but the little boys don't even like them once they are cracked.
 
I noticed that we had only 2 "good" ones left on Monday morning, and I had already decided I was NOT going to buy any new ones. I wanted to get rid of the pacis on my own terms (I didn't want to run out on a night I was tired and crabby and stressed).  So, Monday night was the night.   

Oooh, and it was ugly.  I put them to bed, and they asked for their "babas".  I told them they were all gone, and they kind of looked at me and laughed, like "no, mama, you're kidding...".  It was all I could do to not crack up.  But I repeated, nope, they're all gone...and then the crying started.

Let's just say that all 3 were finally asleep at 9:45.  And they go to bed at 7:30.  There was crying and screaming.  And N was so mad he learned how to get out of his crib, and he is the only one who knows how to open the doors.  So they all started piling out, as I desparately tried to get the eyehook locks installed on the door (I had no childproof door handle covers).  And I put the locks on wrong I guess, so it kept popping open.  So I tried my hardest to quickly install another (so yes, there are TWO locks on their door).  There was a lot of in and out and crying and screaming.  And finally at 9:45 all was quiet.  Z had passed out over an hour before.

Today was a bit better.  At naptime they played and laughed and I walked in to find them all in L's bed giggling and falling all over and jumping.  They were all asleep only 45 minutes after I put them down, which isn't totally out of the norm.

They were asleep tonight by 8:15, and they went ot bed at 7.  Thankfully there was not much crying, mostly laughing and playing and crawling in and out of bed.  I think we are probably past the crying bit, and by tomorrow they should be fine..but we still have to deal with the bed issue.  I think we might take them out of their cribs this weekend, since they're all crawling in and out like crazy anyway.

One milestone down, two major ones still on the horizon...the beds and potty training.   

No comments:

Post a Comment