Z is an incredibly creative boy. He does NOT get this from me. He loves to create crafts, he is good with Legos, he has an amazing imagination. Just last night we were looking at a Lego spaceship he made, and we were both kind of amazed that he had built it, on his own, with no pictures or guides to help him. Here is one he created that he wanted me to take a picture of and send in to the Lego magazine.
His interests this year have ranged from bugs, to scary stuff, to Hot Wheels (his current favorite).
He loves to read and look at catalogs. He has a box full of Christmas and Halloween catalogs, National Geographic and Ranger Rick and Lego magazines, and he just pores over them. He will listen to books when I read, but he is also content to just look himself.
He has started to pick up a few sight words. Not many, but a few...eek, boo, mom, dad, z, car. I think that is it. But he LOVES to make lists and write stuff down. He has made several lists of the things that he wanted for Christmas and/or his birthday. He loves to write down all of the names of his cars. (That's fun. Z: This one is called piranha terror. How do you spell that mom? Me: P Z: ok, next? Me: I. Etc. This next car is called Croc Rod. How do you spell that? Repeat for his 10 favorite cars. I want to lose my mind sometimes, but I know it is good for him.) He also loves to draw pictures, and they are getting more realistic. Nate has shown him how when he was a kid he liked to look at pictures in books and try to copy them, so Z has started that. He is much better than me, already.
He is generous. He often will offer to share something or get something for someone else. "Hey, mom, would you like a piece of my candy?" Or if he has a friend over he will go get each of them a drink of water with no prompting from me. He thinks of others, and knows and recognizes that different people like different things. If he sees a monster truck, he immediately thinks of his friend T. When he draws pictures for people, he thinks about what they would like and draws that, instead of what he might draw for himself (he draws pictures for his friend A, a girl, that are pink and have rainbows!).
He can be very sensitive. He has a hard time being critiqued, especially by Daddy, and gets very embarrassed. He also has learned how to deal with it, though, so gone (mostly) are the days of the temper tantrums. If he gets upset or embarrassed, he will often just run to his room and cool down for a bit, then come out again happy. He sometimes needs a bit of time to process stuff, but then is fine.
He listens to our conversations, and to stuff going on around him. This is not always the best, but it shows that he knows what is going on. When Nate's aunt Julie died, I was on the phone with Jenny telling her the entire back story. Later on, Z just starts busting out questions like: Will I get diabetes? Why do people with diabetes get blind? Etc, etc.
He asks great questions like "What does clever mean? How is candy made?" When reading books, he always wants to know what the big words mean.
He loves to brainstorm. "I've got a good idea! Let's just go make crafts and cut out paper!" We don't always love his brainstorms.
He is good with the little boys. He has really gotten better about playing with them and loving on them. They are getting old enough now that he can actually wrestle around with them and mess with them in a good way, and he knows (pretty much) the limits of that.
He sometimes is too helpful and too bossy, but not often. If a boy is doing something he shouldn't or snatches, Z will try to correct them. He often gets into the middle of the boys squabbles, which actually just makes it worse, but I know he is trying to be helpful.
I know that I could add more and more about him, but it is not coming to my mind right now, and I figure I should probably just get this online, since it is already 9 days late. Oh well.
Love that sweet boy!
No comments:
Post a Comment