Thursday, December 9, 2010

We get around

I have been collecting pictures for this post for a very long time...consciously since September.  I wrote a post about how I maneuver 3 small + 1 big child around last spring, but I think it was on my old blog.  And we have moved past those modes of transport these days. 

At any rate, someone asked me today just how I did my grocery shopping and errand running, so I figured I'd better get this post up.  And note, most of the ways that I travel with my children are "against the rules".  3 years ago I would have been appalled to see someone letting their kids ride like I let mine ride...but, life, right?


Exhibit 1:  The jog stroller.  We haven't used this since this particular outing in September.  I loved the jog stroller, and haven't had the nerve to get rid of it yet.  In fact, we still might use it when we go get our Christmas tree (we cut one down ourselves).  It is good on rough ground.  Z can jump on the front of it and hold on (although I am quite sure that is over the suggested weight load).  The problems with it are that it is wide (but I found my way in most places), and my kids are now so stinkin' big that they fight and steal and hit and it just generally gets ugly.  So we don't use this much anymore...it is sitting in the basement currently.    



Exhibit 2:  The choo-choo wagon.  This is what we use now if we are going somewhere for any length of time.  The kids each have their own spot and can't reach each other.  We have 4 cars, so if we go on a walk in the neighborhood we sometimes will hook one up for Z (so that Nate and I can actually walk and have a conversation instead of "Z, move.  Go faster.  Slow down.  I'm going to step on your heels. Etc,etc).  When we went to the zoo this summer we hooked up a 4th car and Z and cousin P alternated riding.  Z has also found a way to climb on when there are just 3 cars so he doesn't have to walk when he gets tired.  This fall we also managed to get cousin P on there as well...5 kids in 3 cars...well, it was heavy. 



Exhibit 3:  The 2 seater wagon.  We use this if we have short jaunts to go on, or if we think someone might get out and walk.  I used to load the kids in this when I take Z into school, and sometimes into the library or other things like that.  The problem is that N doesn't get buckled in, and he gets out if I even begin to slow down.  They also literally are on top of each other, so it has gotten even more difficult as they get older and hit and fight and scream in there on top of each other. 

. 
Exhibit 4:  The special cart.  This is a rare treat.  It is unbelievable how many specialty carts there are.  At some Targets  there is a 2 seater attached to a normal cart, so the 3rd kid can sit in the normal seat.  Some Targets don't have them, or the normal seat is bolted shut so a kid can't sit in it (like it is in Walmart).  Schnucks has a double car in front, with a double seat where the cart part is.  ShopNSave has a double car in front and a normal seat.  Costco has a double seat.  The special cars (like at the grocery stores and some Targets) are a problem.  See, there are at most 2 spots in those seats.  I have 3 little boys.  It is UGLY.  I even tried putting all 3 in the car, wow, that made it worse.  Whoever is NOT in the cool car pitches a fit and screams and tries to jump out of the normal seat.  And screams (did I mention that?).   
So this picture is in a good cart at Target, and amazingly N is not trying to throw himself out and he isn't even screaming.  I think this might have been their first experience in this type of cart.  
When I have Z, it adds another dimension.  Sometimes he stands and rides on the front, sometimes he crawls into the big cart.  N refused to stay in the normal seat here, so I got him out to ride with Z so his screams wouldn't shake Target down.  I am pretty sure we are breaking every shopping cart rule here.  Z makes sure I know it too ("see, mom, that circle with the line through it...it says we aren't supposed to do this, right?")


Exhibit 5:  The normal cart.  Please don't judge me.  I actually have thought this all out.  When there are no other options, I trust the boys enough to all 4 sit in a cart.  I could get the ChooChoo wagon for times like this, but it is such a pain.  And with the 2 seater, N would just jump out.  So this is what we do now.  Z sits down towards the back with his back on the short end, which doesn't leave room for the little boys to sit down or even move too much.  This makes them like sardines in the front, so they don't fall out.  See, I've rationalized it all!  But I would be judging myself if I weren't me.  Life. 



A bit more on shopping:  When I shop, I find a huge reusable bag and throw it over my shoulder, or just use my purse and dump all of the merchandise into it. I also have under the cart that I can use. I am able to get through most places using this method.  I even got through Aldi with $70 of groceries in my bag and under my cart (and that is a LOT at Aldi!). I do always worry that someone will think I'm shoplifting as I put stuff in my bag, but I would happily dump my bag if they would want me to.  At Costco since the stuff is so big and heavy I can throw it in the main cart with whichever kid(s) are back there. 

Exhibit 6:  My fingers.  The boys have gotten soooo good at this.  It goes like this:  "Come on, boys, please take a finger!  Come grab Mama's fingers!"  And they do!  I normally keep C and N on one side, and L on the other (he tends to have a bit more of his own mind and needs a little "guidance" sometimes!).  They will each grab a finger or two, then walk along with me.  Even Z will grab a finger sometimes.  It is a bit bulky and slow, but it works.  I often get comments about my hands being full, but I typically respond that I have 10 fingers, I could have more!  I have been getting braver about doing this, and we now go into Z's school this way, and I have been into a Panera to get gift cards this way, and just the other day I had to run in to drop something off and did this.  Oh, I've also gone to the post office like this.  They are getting so much better about obeying that I'm not as worried.   




As a rule, I am getting far fewer comments about all the boys (are they all yours?  triplets?  blah, blah blah"), which is kind of nice.  The boys have all learned to (mostly) obey and know not to touch stuff, and they are used to going into places for quick errands.  We get where we need to get, and we can do it fairly easily...not quickly, but it is getting easier!  

So there you have it...we get around!   

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I just got back from a shopping expedition with my two (one the exact same age as your three, the other 2 months old) and got a few comments about having my hands full. I felt proud that I was getting around--you should feel like a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I love this post. I've really enjoyed your posts about how you do things and what your day is like. I remember a post with a photo of all the bottles in your fridge for one day for three babies! Anyway, the logistics you face are tough. Isn't that funny you know exactly what kind of cart each store has? :) I think you do a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a saint, Katie, and an inspiration to us all. I remember the first day I went to Price Chopper with my 3 y.o. and new baby in his car seat. They had replaced all their car carts with a new kind where I had to put the baby seat in the big part where the food goes and there wasn't any room for food. There wasn't a rack underneath either. Now they have them at all the stores I go to! I like to shop the sales and buy in bulk, so I about went ballistic on the store manager, although attempting to remain calm, while pointing out the many flaws of the cart to her. Now that I have another baby seat in tow I've been doing my shopping late on Friday nights. You are very brave and I'm so sorry that everyone's still sick. It has to be over soon! My prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete