Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer reading


We got Z signed up for the summer reading program at our library.  There is a big chart, and every time you read 20 minutes, you get to color in a circle.  The kid is all about coloring in the circles.  He loves it.  He has colored them all different colors, and is so excited to color them in.  When you get 12 colored, you get a prize (then 12 more, and then 12 more). 
We read James and the Giant Peach first, which he loved.  A lot went over his head, but he got the basic idea.  Now we're reading Charlotte's Web (same thing...a lot over his head, but he gets the basic gist).  Of course, we have also filled in with dinosaur, bug, snake, and shark books! 
Yesterday he got his first prize, and he was so excited! 
Here is his prize: 


That's right, a straw shaped like glasses (the liquid has a long route!).  I can't even tell you how much liquid he drank yesterday!
We are proud of him and love that he loves to read...just like his mama and his daddy.  We were both big readers as kids, and I still LOVE to read. 
Actually, I have started to be able to read again.  The problem with me reading is that I am an all or nothing kind of reader.  When I pick up a book, I don't put it down until I'm done, much to the neglect of my children.  Of course I deal with them...I get them food (and read), I take them outside (and read), they take naps (I read), they go to bed (and I read until late!).  I have been borrowing books from Dad and Dena, my own personal little library.  In the past 6 weeks I have read The Help (loved it), Peace Like a River (ok), The Island (loved it), and Two Rivers (pretty good).  I have waiting on my table The Widow of the South and The Art of Racing in the Rain.  But I am forcing myself to wait for awhile to pick up new books....my kids need me! 
Regardless, we are a reading type of house.  I hope we can foster it in all the boys.  Glad Z is off to a good start, and based on how much the little boys love books already, I don't think we'll have a problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment