Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Gettin' Schooled

The other day, Z came in from playing in his new swingset fort, and said he was scared because there was a carpenter bee.  I let it slide (bad mom!). 
A few days later, I noticed a small, even hole on the fort.  I thought maybe this was what Z had been talking about, but was't sure, but it sure did sound and look familiar...but I couldn't place it, and wouldn't have thought twice about it if Z hadn't mentioned the carpenter bees.   
Today, while we were playing outside, I showed it to Nate.  He had never heard of a carpenter bee, which was what Z had called it.  He put his finger in the hole (why, no idea!) but when he pulled it away, small, fine wood pieces came down, like something was shoving them out. 
So Nate took off to find some bug spray.  All we could find was WD-40, which he sprayed full blast into the hole, several times.
In the meantime, I questioned Z.  Where had he heard of carpenter bees?  A book?  A movie?  School?  "Nowhere, Mom, I just know it!"  Ummm, right.  Finally, though, he remembered.  A few weeks ago we went to the Zoo, and in the Insectarium there was an exhibit with carpenter bees, and they had a piece of wood there that showed what the holes looked like.  And he was right...I remembered it (vaguely) when he reminded me. 
We pried out the bee after Nate killed it, so that our little entomologist could examine it.  Not sure if it is actually black, or if it is black because of the excess of WD-40.  It was about the size of the top joint of my thumb.   
I think he has taught us stuff before, but this was clearly him pointing out and teaching something neither Nate nor I would have known about.  Crazy, scary, unbelievable that my baby is at this point...but he is.  
 

2 comments:

  1. Katie, He is such a smarty! It is amazing the things kids pick up and retain that us adults don't even register. (as for the color, they are normally all black, with maybe a little yellow on them. We have a family living in our car port. No fun at all. It is good to get rid of it now, because they will return to the same spot year after year and multiply. No fun at all...) ~Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your boy is growing up! We were just at the insectarium the other day looking at that exhibit! =)

    ReplyDelete