Nate is incredibly creative. He is so different from me in that way, but it is one thing that has allowed us to work so well together. He is creative, thinks outside of the box, and dreams. I tend to organize it and put it all together and make sure it runs. Not my point.
My point is Z. He is creative and can imagine things like his Daddy.
Last night Z found an empty Nilla Wafers box and says, "Dad, we can't throw this away! We can make something with it!". He chose the right parent. I would have said, "Sure we can, Z. Let's do it later." Then I would have recycled it. But Nate looked at it and said, "Sure we can, Z! What can we make?". Z, of course, wanted to make an animal, and thought a spider would be best.
The two of them sat down after dinner while I bathed the little boys and they made a "red rosy spider". Not sure if he really meant the Chilean Rose Tarantula, the Mexican Red Kneed Tarantula, or a type of bird eating tarantula, as those are all favorites (really, this is my world). Again, not my point. They covered the box with paper, drew the appropriate number of eyes on it, collected sticks for the legs and the fangs, and colored hairs on it. When asked what he wanted to do with it, Z suggested we hang it from a web in his room, so Nate hung it from a piece of ribbon that Z found.
Z was soooo proud of himself. I was sooo proud of both of them. It makes me love Nate even more when I see him being an awesome daddy. I love that he is sensitive to Z, and he cultivates Z's interests, and doesn't shove them aside. I love that he takes the individual time to work with Z on things that are important to him, and that he looks for ways to involve Z in them.
Nate has made all sorts of crafts with him as he has gotten older...the pillowcase from Halloween, this spider, masks, forts, etc. He shows Z how to use tools and lets him practice with his actual tools (drilling and hammering, for example). Nate is willing to let hime try all sorts of stuff, and does it with patience. I cannot claim the same for myself...at least not as often as Nate does.
What an amazing husband I have...I am blessed.
And what an amazing oldest son I have...love watching him create and focus and imagine and work hard.
This picture cracked me up of his smile. :) He was so proud!
EEEK!!!! It's going to get me!
I wrote a similar post about my lack of crafting skills!! By the way, Z looks like he is like 12 in the last picture.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, the last picture is classic! Hilarious! And he does look really grown-up.
ReplyDelete