Friday, March 28, 2014

Reading



These three have REALLY taken off reading.  Every day they each read to me for at least 10 minutes just to get some practice in.  N is reading incredibly well.  C and L are doing awesome as well.  They are at least as far as Z was halfway through his K year.  They understand how to sound words out, know most sight words, and even get some rules of spelling.  For example, the other day they were talking about the word "read" and asking how to spell it.  Each had his own way, and each was totally appropriate.  N thought "read" (because he had seen it and remembered it), L thought "reed" because he knew that "ee" said E, and C thought "rede" because I had told him several times that when there is an "e" at the end of the word, it makes the first vowel say it's name (like "made" vs "mad").  Pretty impressed with all of their reasoning. 

 I think of all of the things I have watched my boys learn to do, this is the one that has brought me the most joy (to date).  I love watching them get sucked into stories like their mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment