Thursday, April 18, 2013

One year

A year ago this week I began a diet and began running.  Actually, I just counted calories using my fitness pal.  I worked hard for about 4 months, and tapered off when my half marathon training got to be enough that I needed to not worry about it.  I didn't worry about it over Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthdays, 3 girls weekends, or my birthday.

At my best, at the end of my half marathon training, I had lost 17 pounds (and 18 for a blink!).  I had a few pounds creep back on over my hiatus, bringing me to about 13 pounds, and I have worked for a few weeks (since Easter) to get it back to a pretty solid 15 pounds.  And I feel GREAT about that.  17 pounds was my pre-Z weight.  15 pounds I am happy with.  25 pounds was my high school weight..and I am no fool to think I can get back there again.  I probably could make it to 20...but I have decided it is not worth it...the time, energy, thought, emotions...not worth it. 

I also began running then.  I didn't love it.  I didn't hate it.  It was kind of a means to help me lose weight.  But after the 10K and half marathon, I really kind of started liking it.  I could have stopped over the winter (and believe me, many days I just DIDN'T want to get out of bed in the cold dark morning) but I'm so glad I didn't stop, especially now that it is warm enough and light enough for me to be outside at 6am and not in the gym on the treadmill!!!  I am signed up for a 5 mile race next weekend and a mudrun in May.  I am looking to sign up for a few more races this summer and fall.  I really have enjoyed it.  SO surprised by that.  I don't think I will do a half marathon again, but I would love to do a marathon relay or other 10K races...6-7 miles is my max, I think!

The other day I was fed up with my house and just cranky in general, and I decided to run.  I just needed OUT.  And running did it for me.  I didn't have to spend money, or feel guilty like I should be back sooner, or drive...and I got exercise, released endorphins, knew I wouldn't be back until I got done with my 5 miles...all around a good deal.  I felt so much better and came back a mostly happy mama :) 

I have loved being an example to my boys (mostly Z now) on self discipline...I have loved having the chance to run with him and talk with him. 

I have found that getting up and running in the early morning starts off my day so much better too.  I'm not running around like a crazy woman because I have slept in, cranky at my kids for going too slow...I'm calmer and have my head on straighter.  This is not to say that I don't love my Friday morning sleep-in, but that morning really is a bit ugly.  I would never have thought I would say that!

And just for grins, I figured I probably ran about 800 miles in the past year.  That is a bit over 15 miles a week, which is what I have done most of the year (most weeks I run 4 days:  3 miles, 4 miles, 3 miles, 5 miles).  Training for the half I clearly did more, but I took a few weeks off here and there for vacations, and didn't get in quite as much over the winter each week as I wanted to.  And this is how far I could have run in any one direction from St. Louis: 

Pretty impressive, no? 

Yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment