Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sick

Tuesday morning a few weeks ago Z woke up with a fever so we kept him home from school.  He had a low grade fever for FOUR days.  Enough to be feeling ok but not quite healthy enough for school.  It was a long week.  We compounded that with the littles getting over a very mild case of pinkeye, then Z got it on Friday.  Sigh.  He spent a lot of time playing on the computer and kindle, and just kind of hanging out doing his own thing.  I was ready to send him back to school on Monday.

So yesterday I got a call from school that Z was in the nurse's office not feeling well, but with no fever, and could I come get him?  Ummmm...weird.  So of course I went to get him, although I was pretty sure it was a case of "I'd rather be home on the Kindle than at school".  But we had eaten a LOT of junk this past weekend with birthdays and the Superbowl, so I figured I'd give him the benefit of doubt.  I walked in to get him and talked to him for a second, and let him know that if he was not feeling well enough to be at school, but was not contagious, then he would be home on the couch reading all day...no computer, no kindle.  He agreed.

We came home and he sat and read for about 30 minutes, upon which he decided he was bored.  He wanted to watch TV, or take a stick (to be allowed to play on the kindle/computer).  I, ever so sweetly, kept reminding him that if he was sick enough to not go to school that he needed to be home lying down, maybe even take a NAP.  Needless to say, he was less than thrilled with me.  I offered to take him back to school if he was feeling better, but he didn't want that either.  He didn't get to play outside after school with the girl across the street, or in the afternoon with the boys.  He went to bed early.  I explained to him that he only goes to the nurse if he feels like he is going to die, and he informed me that he didn't know that (which he might not have).

I think and hope the lesson was learned...but what a fun one :)  Can't pull that one over Mom's eyes, Z.  

No comments:

Post a Comment