For costumes this year, I am sad to say, I just didn't care. We have so many in the basement and I didn't have any grand ideas and I didn't want to make/pay for new costumes, soooo....we used whatever they were in the mood for. Z settled on a ghost, but was was so lame. He started with a sheet with a hole in it paired with a pillowcase over his head, but it looked way too kkk, so we got him a new sheet ;) I made the holes on the new one, and he looked at it and promptly said "STU-PID". Um, excuse me?! We don't even say that word in our house. So he took the scissors to it...he was happy with his results and I was happy that HE did it and I didn't. (We think the hole was too big but he didn't care...). The littles covered a total of 9 costumes in their 4 opportunities to dress up: mater (twice by L), dragon from last year (once by C, once by L), a vampire, spiderman, hulk (C twice), skeleton, finn mcmissle, francesco (both from cars 2) and lightning. I figure at least we put the costumes to good use. (I actually bought the Cars ones on clearance last year intending them to wear them this year, and the SuperHero ones intended for next year. They all got use, and some will get use next year too, so that works for me!)
We went to the Trunk or Treat at Z's school.
We went to Trunk or Treat at church.
The littles went trick or treating at the nursing home next to their school (I forced them into the "intended" costumes for this year).
I LOVE how they each wore their hats so uniquely! Cracks me up!
This was actually Halloween. Our street has a block party so we always manage to pop down for a bit before we have to go take the kids out. Last year Nate went a bit farther with Z after I took the littles home, and we considered that this year. But then we figured the littles could walk a bit more, so we did our street and the next block over. About halfway done, Z asked if he could go farther with Dad after I took the littles home, and we told him we'd see. When we finished though, he was completely happy to be done!
We made Z tell a joke (yes, it is a St. Louis thing). We were also reminded of what a great skill teacher that trick or treating actually IS. The boys had to not walk on the grass, ring the doorbell, use a clear voice to say trick or treat or Happy Halloween while looking at unknown adults, get the candy, say thank you, and repeat. Z had the added part of asking "do you want to hear a joke" and then telling it. He had a HARD time with this. He would just start yelling the joke at the adult (lots of grandparents in our neighborhood) and they would be so confused as to what he was talking about. We had to remind him every time (for the first half of our trip)...FIRST ask if they want to hear a joke!
His joke was "where does a ghost mail his letters?" "At the ghost office!" Haha...right...after several houses, he came back and said, "Dad, why is everyone saying my joke is cute?!"
We ran into his good buddy and his big brother out so chatted with them a bit.
And then, the counting and sorting. Z walked right in, dumped it out, and asked, "Ok, who wants to sort with me?!" LOVE that kid!
Needless to say, we had SO MUCH CANDY. I am exceptionally glad that it is gone now, it contributed to many a meltdown, and I heard "Mom, can I have some candy?" more times than I can count. Good Halloween!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment