I have fallen into a very good routine with laundry. Monday is laundry day, and I flip the laundry over and over and over all day long, then bring it all up and fold it at night as I watch TV. We normally have 8-9 loads, and it takes me 2-3 hour long shows (so 45 minutes when the commercials are out) to get it all done, and then I have to put it all up. It is a long night, but I haven't minded too much. The boys have tended to just tear it all up and mess up my piles and cause more ruckus. And since I have a specific way of folding the littles clothes, I like to do it myself. (I fold 3 shirts together so I only have to grab "one" shirt, and I do the same for pants. But I know what shirts and pants "go" together. I realize I will have to lose this OCD tendency at some point, but seeing as how I have boys and they don't care what they wear, I think I have awhile longer before I have to let this go. I digress.)
But I have been thinking that this might be an area that I can let them help with, since they are getting older. I never let Z help because by the time he was old enough the littles were around and it wasn't worth it.
So the past two weeks I have let them "help". I have dumped out all the clean clothes and let them sort (all the pjs in a pile, undies, etc). I have also had them sort/match the socks, which is a lot harder than all the other people make it sound, especially if all the socks are white.
At any rate...I'm not sure about it. It actually requires a lot of patience on my part, and it really isn't helping me at all (although if they hadn't helped earlier today I wouldn't be catching up on my blogging right now...so maybe it is a help!). Trying to direct 3 boys to put little socks in one pile and big ones in another, and undies over there, and jeans in this pile...by the time one is obeying the others are off jumping in my piles. I know there has to be some way to make it "fun" so they want to help, but I don't know what that is yet. I know I should be doing this, because I am teaching them life skills, and I know that eventually they will be able to do their own. In fact, Z did most of his on his own. Well, sort of. He folded his pants, matched the socks (and I folded them), hung up his shirts, and put it all away. Not too bad for the second time.
The best today was when all the littles decided to put their undies on their heads. At least they're cute.
Hey. What about making flashcards for articles of clothing and each boy draws a card and it is their job to get ALL of that ONE item (ie boys undies, pants, big socks and/or little socks, shirts) into a pile? Like you do with the dishwasher or breakfast choices.
ReplyDeleteThat way it kind of turns into a scavenger hunt/race. It doesn't help with the folding, but maybe then it will take less specific supervision for all of them trying to do everything.
Just an idea. Don't know if that is more or less complicated.
Marbree seems to have a good idea! My thought as I read your post was having one boy help/day. Is that even feasible with three little boys running around, though? I have no idea.
ReplyDeleteWe are getting the kiddos involved with laundry more around here too. E can stack diaper wipes and stuff like that, and P can sort socks, do basic folding, etc. His way of keeping the socks together is different than mine - he stuffs one sock inside the other - but it works! This past week they each took a day to have me say "ready, set, go!" as they raced off to their room with a small pile to put away or just put there. They seemed to love that, and any chance for contained exercise in the house is welcome around here!