Monday, October 3, 2011

Library

I've got about 5 posts of pictures to put in here...in fact, I think that several of the pictures are already uploaded, and I just need to do some writing.  It has been hard to write recently.  Not that we have been super busy...not that we haven't been doing anything...not that there isn't anything to say...  I think my creative brain has kind of dulled a bit for the time, probably due to lack of practice (since I haven't been writing), and also due to the fact that there is too MUCH to say, and I can't get it all in, so I just resort to writing nothing.  Anyway, that is not what this post is about.  It is about the library, clearly, as I already wrote on the title, but have not actually written about yet. 

Wow. Tangent. 

Have I mentioned how much we love the library?  Over the past few months we have fallen into a weekly routine there.  We always check out a movie or two, and they are due back a week later, so we HAVE to go return it.  The boys are getting to be so good in the library.  They still don't remotely understand the "shhhhh" factor, but we're getting there.  We go on Monday mornings, right when they open, so it isn't very crowded.  They know that they can dig through 3 things:  the movies, the board books, and the paperback early readers.  All 3 of these are not really in order.  I don't let them near the actual shelves...that would be chaos. They just pull the books/movies out and look through all of them, and I can just pick them all up and put them back in the right container.  I have been able to really scan the shelves and find good books for us to take home.  Z has been learning to look for the books he likes, and knows what sections to look in for "his" books.  The library ladies all know us (we're hard to NOT know), and are kind to us and helpful. 

I think we currently have 28 books out.  A book for me (I was reading Huck Finn for a book club), a few preschool teaching books (I had grand plans of doing a letter a week starting after Labor Day, we haven't even started), movies for the kids, read aloud books for Z (we got a Boxcar Children book and 2 Magic TreeHouse books for him today), books for Z to practice reading (a first reader on ducks, another about Cars), craft books for Z (currently they are Halloween magazines, and today he found a book on Star Wars crafts you can make), random books the boys pull out (Thomas the Train-I won't be reading that and a Wizard of Oz flip book), and read aloud books for the boys that I choose (currently some we have are The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Go-Go Gorillas). 

Part of Z's homework is to be read to/read at least 5 days for 10 minutes.  We typically read 20-25 minutes every night after the littles are in bed and before he goes to bed.  I LOVE to read with him.  And he really likes it too.  I normally make him practice a bit by reading an easy book (Go Dog Go) or his "books" that get sent home from school, then I will read to him. 

I read to the little boys normally twice a day.  Once before naptime and once before bedtime.  Depending on how much time we have and my attitude, I let each kid pick one or two (or if I'm in a really good, patient mood, THREE!) books.  When it is time for their book, they get to sit on my lap, while the other two sit on either side of me.  Z sometimes joins us too, and he sits next to one of the boys.  They do a pretty good job listening.  I sometimes get annoyed with their book choices (over and over and over again!), but I know it is good.  I get a bit claustrophobic, too...3 kids climbing on me, pushing and shoving to see the pictures, pointing at pictures...it is hot...ugh.  But they love it.  In fact, that is the comment I hear most often (or see most often) when I pick them up from Sunday school or Bible study, "Wow, your boys love to read!".  Give them a lap and a book and they are in heaven!

And me, well, I read when I can.  A few weeks ago I was able to read an entire Jodi Picoult book in about 30 hours.  I started one night, and the next morning the boys literally entertained themselves for about two and a half hours while I read.  Crazy (but wonderful!).  I have been in a book club and we have been reading classics:  Huck Finn, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, 1984, etc.  It has been fun, and I have loved reading some of those books. 

I guess I had some words built up.  ;)  That is our house and reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment