Thursday, September 1, 2011

The first 2 weeks

Z has been in school for 2 weeks now.  He is really liking it...I think :)  At the end of the first full week he had a bit of a meltdown, I think from being tired.  One night I was tucking him in bed and told him that he would go to art the next day.  His face crumples up, and he sobs, "ART?  I don't wanna go to ART!" "Buddy, why?  You love art!" "But she'll make me PAINT.  And I don't like her paints.  I like ouuuuuuuur paaaaaaints!!!!" Um, yeah.  My crafty, art loving kid doesn't want to go? 

Tired.  And of course neglected by me, since I was in the middle of potty training.  I didn't really take into total account how tired he would be...he hasn't napped in years, but always has had a quiet time of about 45 minutes.  Now that time is full of 15 other boys and learning.  He has been sleeping fine, even sleeping in a few days (another benefit to pm kindergarten), but it is a lot all at once. 

He has sort of told us what is going on in class, as much as a 5 year old boy can.  That is the hardest part for me.  In preschool I had face time with the teacher and the kids, and could prompt him "I saw Evan had a skeleton shirt on too!".  Now, I've got nothing.  "So you sit by a boy?  Do you know his name?  Does anyone else like Legos?"  Boys (specifically my boy) give so much less info than girls do (so I've heard, anyway). 

His teacher has been great too.  One day he came home and we heard conflicting stories: He stayed inside at recess while the other kids went outside; no one went outside.  He was so adamant on both that I emailed her...I didn't want him to be allowed to be inside, that is ridiculous.  Turns out no one had recess, which I figured, but wanted to be sure.

She called us yesterday as a 2 week check-in (so nice!).  He is doing great academically (knows all the big letters, most of the little, a few words, and can write his name).  Behaviorally, he is great (sits well and listens and obeys).  Socially he is fine too (he is pretty quiet, but is coming out of his shell at recess).  Sounds about right on target for everything....pretty sure I could told her what she was going to tell me. 

It has been pretty nice having him gone in the afternoons...it sure is quiet...and fabulous.  In the near vicinity of time I'm going to need to reclaim that time and be useful, but I have been recouping from potty training and just getting my feet back on the ground the past week and a half. 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie!
    I am having a hard time not knowing anything that's going on at school too because Wren doesn't tell me much either! And then I'm not sure what's true or not. So he's gone from home all this time and then I'm not even knowing what's happening! Blah! :) Sounds like you have a good teacher!
    Em

    ReplyDelete