Monday, May 23, 2011

Sleep (yes, again)

So, naptime/bedtime has not really gotten better.  2 days last week no one napped.  Bedtime (no, sleeptime) is now around 830-45.  Wake time is 630.  We put a gate in front of the door, which has helped (at least now no one can escape and they can still see out and not feel trapped).  The kids are not exactly adjusting to it...the 2 days after they napped they were zombies. 

This has been VERY hard on me (clearly, as attested by my other posts).  I like control.  I like kids who sleep.  I like to have 2 hours of quiet (more or less) in the afternoon to get stuff done (like clean my house and make dinner).  I like to be done before 845 at night.  I like to not just fall on the couch and stare at the TV at 845 because I am so physically and mentally exhausted from dealing with 3 tired 2 year olds.  I am not ready for them to give up naps.  

I have given this 2 weeks.  And I don't think it's getting better. 

Sidenote:  Here is what is going RIGHT NOW as I type:  the 2 kids who DIDN'T nap today just woke up the one who WAS napping, only 45 minutes into when he finally fell asleep.  UGHHHHHH.  And you want to know how?  Yes, I walked back there to find C and N just sitting and bouncing on L.  While he slept. Another sidenote:  before waking up L, C and N managed to yank on the door or something, resulting in them pulling the screws from the hinge out of the door.  REALLY?!  One more sidenote:  C had his foot on the top of the gate that I can barely straddle.  We might have to consider adding a top gate...

So where was I?  Oh, right...I don't think it's getting better.  It's not one kid who is causing the problem either.  They rotate.  I guess that is probably good for them ;)

I don't know what to do.  I don't want/can't really have them in separate rooms very easily.  I don't want to have to train each of them not to get into our stuff and Z's stuff if I put them each in separate bedrooms, because that might be harder.  I don't want to sit with them until they fall asleep, because it becomes such a game to them and my blood just boils, and I become a worse mom, and sometimes it doesn't even make them sleep.  And it is JUST because there are 3 of them.  If there was just one I think I could force naps a bit longer.  But there are 3.  I can't hold down 3 kids at once.  I think it boils down to the fact that I just need to accept it....but I don't know how. And I am not ready.  But I might not have a choice....

1 comment:

  1. this sounds so so hard. i feel the same way about control etc as you and this is a tough one. i feel for you!

    ReplyDelete