Thursday, May 5, 2011

Friends

We went this morning to Z's kindergarden tour.  It was fine.  He is excited.  We walked around the school, saw classes, his teacher, the principal.  We went to T-ball practice this evening and realized that kid on his T-ball team was at his school this morning and will be in class with him next year.  A kid he played soccer with was at school this morning (but will be in full day, not half like Z).  We are starting to see some of the same kids/moms around (between Tball, soccer, and now school), and it is fun getting to know the moms and just chat with them.  And that is what prompted this post... 

Two points, here.   

One:  I am still very close to my first friend from elementary school (Molly).  She was in my wedding, I was in hers, I watched one of her girls 2 days last week, we are going out for coffee tomorrow night.  And now Z is meeting friends.  Who might he meet that could be his forever friend?  Will I like him?  I have no actual say in who he becomes friends with, and until now, his friends have been ones I have chosen for him.
 
Two:  Some of Mom's good friends were my friends moms.  Molly's mom, Veronica's mom, Maggie's mom.  She had lunch with them several times a year.  I still get Christmas cards from Tom and Barb, and Mike and Nancy are always so fun to see.
So my point, then...will I be friends with these moms?  Now that I'm thinking about it, these moms will be moms who I will be seeing for the next 15+ years.  (If we stay in this district, which we might or might not).  I will be hearing things about their kids, helping with their kids, playing sports with their kids, picking up and dropping off their kids, having playdates with their kids, etc, etc.  I hope, then, that I will be friends with the moms...at least that I will be ok with them.  It's just kind of weird.  It is a whole new circle opened up to me, and I am not Katie, I am Z's mom.  I don't get to pick my friends, I think I am kind of along for the ride with Z...and I hope I like the friends he picks for me!

3 comments:

  1. I got started a little sooner thanks to day care, but I have one really close day care mom friend and several others I'm really chatty with. It's fun to find a whole new circle of moms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it crazy to realize how your circle of people will change as your children get to be school-age? This year with K in kindergarten has made me realize I will probably know the families we're meeting for the next 12+ years, smiles, craziness and all. It feels very much like moving to a new school and starting over, except our kids are leading the way and we have to just tag along. Enjoy the ride and reserve judgement are the lessons I've learned so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to catch up on your blog. I love that you post fairly often!

    And what a wild thought about Z picking your next set of friends for you...wow!

    Now that I'm leaving this comment, I realized we never settled on anything park-wise. I hope you got my email. Not biggie if you're busy, but it'd be fun it if worked out!

    ReplyDelete