Friday, May 27, 2011

Cicadas

So the cicadas are out in full force.  They are disgusting, to me anyway.  But to four little boys, it can't get better.  Z has been collecting them and studying them.  He collects them with a stick then has sheltered them in one of the "trunks" of the little boys trikes, then drives around with them.  The little boys just hunch over them and stare at them.  Once, though, I guess one dive bombed N and he started screaming bloody murder.  When I ran over he just kept saying between screams/sobs:  BUG! BUG! BUG!

I have been struck by the life cycle of these bugs.  These are the 13 year cicadas.  As far as I understand in my research, now they mate, lay eggs, hatch, and bury underground, where they will stay and grow for 13 more years.  The same bugs.  And then in 13 years out they come again. 

And here is my thought:  when these cicadas were out last, Nate and I had just started dating.  And when they come out again (in 13 years), Z will be graduating from high school.  That's nuts.   



No comments:

Post a Comment