Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Science Mcsperiences


Z love sciences.  Makes me kind of smile (as a former HS biology teacher!).  In fact, if you ask him, he will tell you he's going to be a science teacher when he grows up. 
Last Christmas Papa Dan and Grandma Dena got him a lab kit with supplies, and he has loved those.  Papa Mike found some science "lab" books that he bought for him, and Z loves them.  The problem with these is that he just sees the cool crafty things (and stickers that came with the book) and doesn't really want to do the experiment.  I also don't have "modeling clay, wooden skewers, and an empty liquid dishsoap container" all on hand at the exact second he wants them.  
I also have 2 old science lab books from when I was a kid (I loved science back then too, and couldn't bear to part with them as I got older).  One of them is also full of stuff that I don't have on hand.  The other one is actually pretty good, and I looked through it today and dogeared a lot of pages with things we could do easily.  
I got him a new book for Christmas, too, that has a lot of stuff that I am willing to do, so I am sure I'll have my fill of science after he gets that book.
Today we made a boat that was self propelled because it has a wedge of soap at the back (it has to do with surface tension).  We all piled into the tiny bathroom and watched it go.  It was pretty entertaining...the boat, a bit, but watching all the boys...now that was fun!        



No comments:

Post a Comment