Friday, December 31, 2010

MoBot and a tornado

Friday morning Jenny was meeting some of her old friends, so Marbree and I took the 5 boys to the botanical gardens to see the trains.  The trains lasted for about 15 minutes.  It was crowded and the boys just didn't care that much. 
But it was a warm day out (65 or 70!) so we were able to just run through the gardens.  It was actually really cool to be there in the winter when nothing is blooming.  We explored places I had never been before and the boys were able to run wild.  We took the choo choo wagon, but ended up hauling it empty most of the time.  That is encouraging to me, because that means that maybe by the spring I will be able to take my regular wagon with us to places like the zoo and let one or more boys walk (but they can all still pile in together if needed).












So while we're there, we hear the tornado sirens.  It wasn't the first Monday of the month, but it was a bit after 11, so we figured we should head out just in case, and anyway, it was lunchtime.
We met Jenny and Greg and her friends at Bread Co, and sat at a table behind them.  It has started pouring by now.  Marbree got in line while I manned the 5 boys.  While up there, the power went out for about 20 seconds (long enough for me to go "REALLY?" but not freak out).  I was facing out the window and saw it raining, then a while later it calmed down.  We didn't think much of it, then got in the car and went home.
Then we started getting calls asking if we were ok. 
Turns out there was an F3 tornado with 165 mph winds that touched down less than 1/4 mile from where we were eating WHILE WE WERE THERE and we had NO idea.  It demolished some buildings, flipped 20 cars, tore down trees, ripped off roofs, busted out windows.  I kept getting more and more freaked out as I heard all of this.  So incredibly thankful that we were fine. I can't even imagine.  That same tornado (I guess, or another one?) also touched down about 2 miles from our house and messed it up pretty badly as well.  Grateful we're fine, but I know that there is a lot of rebuilding for some people in those areas, so we are continuing to pray for them.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! We were at the Qdoba just north of where you (I think) were, and then driving home, also in the general area of the storm. We are so thankful for God's protection!!

    ReplyDelete