Last Saturday C was standing at my feet in the kitchen while I was making lunch and trying to maneuver around the kitchen. L came barreling in and scooted the stool over, which knocked C over and into me. C began to cry. I chose to ignore him, as he tends to "cry wolf" a lot more often than the other boys, and I saw exactly what happened. But he kept crying, and kept crying, so N came in and picked up C to find out he is bleeding from the mouth. Ok, no biggie, mouths bleed. C was inconsolable (again, not totally out of the realm of normal for him). When he picked his head up off of Nate's shoulder about 5 minutes later, there was still blood all over, which kind of freaked me out. We tried to get it to stop, but it kept bleeding. It finally stopped, and I kind of forgot about it.
C wouldn't let me brush his teeth (totally normal) and screamed when I wiped off his face (totally normal). Sunday night I took a better look at his mouth because it looked kind of strange...um, yeah. After I looked at it closely (then fretted and did research) it turns out he had torn his maxillary frenum (the gum between the front teeth that connects the lip to the jaw). He had a big enough tear that the gum was just hanging down on top of his teeth. GROSS. I don't know if his lip caught on the crossbar of the stool, or my leg, or what, but apparently his lip got stuck and the rest of him kept going, causing the tear. Who knows. I called the dentist on Monday who said it typically heals on it's own, so we let it go. It has healed pretty well, I will keep an eye on it though.
You can sort of tell here, this pic was taken on Monday. You can kind of see the black part where the scab was forming at the bottom, and the big hunk hanging between his front teeth. Love that kid!
No comments:
Post a Comment