Z, of course, loves Halloween. He also loves crafts. I hate crafts. I am not crafty in any way, shape or form. Nate is, in a manly sort of way. He is good at making stuff, building stuff, fixing stuff...using his hands. So I know Z gets it honestly. But seeing as how he is still a little boy, it is still crafty stuff. Scissors, glue, yarn, beads, markers, construction paper, googly eyes...the whole 9 yards. But here is why I hate crafts (among other reasons): he has a picture in his brain of what he wants (or he sees a picture in a craft book), but he can't do it. So not only do I have to go collect all of the stuff that he needs to do the crafts, but I also have to DO 90% of it. He can't quite get the spider how he wants it. His hands aren't quite strong enough to cut the milk carton. He doesn't quite have the coordination to thread the string through the hole. And then I have to keep the little boys away from the crafts and the craft supplies...Makes me bonkers.
But he loves them. So I made a commitment at the beginning of October to be purposeful about doing crafts with him. I got a few books out of the library on on Halloween crafts. I collected even more stuff (tp and paper towel tubes, styrofoam balls, boxes, glitter glue). And I tried, I really did, to do crafts with him. I had originally thought I would do a craft a day, but that quickly deteriorated...there are 31 days in October, people! It ended up being a craft every few days. Sometimes I was lucky and someone else got to do it (if I could find a way to pawn that off, I did!). There were several that "we" made that turned out terribly...for example, a bat mobile...it was just horribly ugly...but he still loved it.
Here are a few of the pictures I took. There are several that I didn't get pictures of (a bat mobile, a spider in a box, a mummy in a tube...those are a few I can think of offhand), and some I have already posted (like carving pumpkins, at least). And the days I just refused, he normally drew pictures of all of the scary things he could think of. We went through a lot of white paper and construtction paper! He really had a good time doing all of them, and he toted the finished crafts all over the house for the entire month. I am glad that I did them because he got such pleasure from doing them, but by the end of the month I was so done with crafts and so done with Halloween!

No comments:
Post a Comment