Friday, November 12, 2010

Grateful

Wednesday morning we went to the park to play since everyone was still too snotty to go to Bible study but were in decent moods.  When we got home, Z picked up a watering can and dumped it out and I snapped at him to not drop it, at which point he says "But Mom, I can't hold it!".  His fingers and arms had starting getting rash on them and were swollen up.  This is not typical (but not unheard of) for HSP, but I started freaking out again.  He continued to act fine, except for the fact that now his arms and fingers hurt, along with his legs a bit.   
Long story short, we went to get bloodwork done immediately to rule out any other scary diagnosis.  Not a fun 24 hours, sitting and waiting to make sure that it is all normal. 
Thursday I sent him to school since he was acting normal, but I warned his teacher about what was going on.  She called me about an hour before I was supposed to pick him up to let me know he didn't want to eat his lunch because his tummy hurt.  Mom's in panic mode, since I still was waiting on the bloodwork results.  Belly pain can be associated with HSP, but it is a bigger problem than just the rash and aching legs. 
At home he was fine, and decided to eat a late lunch (and then ate dinner, too).  The doctor finally called to let me know that the bloodwork was all normal.  Praise God.  He also thought it was strange about his arms and belly (he wasn't in the office on Wednesday, so I was doing all that stuff with a nurse, which made it even harder).  So he called down to Children's Hospital rhumatology to just double check with them with all of Z's info, to make sure that they agreed it was HSP.  They did, so now I'm breathing much easier.
Z has been acting fine today, and I didn't give him tyelnol until he asked for it today (about noon), so that is probably good too.  He has been more tired in the evening, which makes sense, since he is tired from the day.  This will probably continue for the next 2 weeks or so...new rash, aching legs and arms and possibly belly, but then will just eventually go away.  But we will continue to do urine checks for the next 6 months.
I have been pretty worried this week, and it has really been bothering me.  I am not typically a worrier.  I just kept feeling like "this is probably no big deal, why are you so worried?", but then it is my baby...
But then I would start thinking about friends, and friends of friends who have children who are soooo much sicker.  Kids who are terminally ill.  Kids who are constantly in pain.  Moms who have to be scared for their kids on a regular basis.  Moms who have to shuttle kids for bloodwork and urine work and doctors appointments all over.  Moms who have to hold their kids hands as they do scary, hard stuff. 
I realize I have taken my kids health so for granted.  Has it been hard, at times, with all the boys?  Absolutely.  But my kids are healthy and happy and good and low maintenance.  And healthy.  Thank you, Lord, for my healthy children.  Please let me be reminded daily to be grateful for that. 

1 comment: