Sunday, October 24, 2010

Peace and quiet

Let me preface this by saying that I love, love, love my oldest child.

But man, he is loud, and he requires a lot of attention.  I can honestly say that he is at least half of my work throughout the day, even if he is only a quarter of the physical bodies.  I don't think that he is really jealous of the boys, or feels like I spend too much time with them....he just wants me.  The little boys have each other to play with, and he can sort of play with them, but not totally yet.  He is on such a different level than they are...they push around trucks, he needs a help on a craft.  They sit and wait for me to bring something to them, he asks and asks and asks over and over again.  They let me dress them, I ask and ask and ask him to get dressed.  And for the LOVE, the kid has volume.  He is louder than most kids his age. 

All this to say, I do love the time when he is gone (for short periods of time).  He is at school Tuesday and Thursday mornings, and I normally have something planned at least one of those mornings for me and the little boys, but I try to keep one open, so I can just enjoy them and the things that they are doing.  This past weekend, Dorothy had Z and cousin P at her house for the weekend, and it was so fabulous to have a break!  I know he loved it too, and I think the break is just as needed for him as it is for me.  He got uninterrupted craft time, I got quiet.  He got plenty of one on one attention, I got to love on the little boys without distraction.  My house stayed cleaner, I enjoyed reading to the little boys, we all got to take long naps Saturday afternoon, and my day was over at 705...with the house picked up for the evening and all. 

Did I miss him?  Sort of.  I missed him being in his bed at night time...my whole family, complete under one roof.  I missed tucking him in.  I missed hugs and love and him laughing with me at the silly things the boys did.  When he came home today, I loved being able to hold him and love on him and snuggle him.  He let me love on him for a good 10 minutes while the little boys played outside...he sat in my lap and let me snuggle him and chat with him.  Love that boy, but I loved my break.   

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya! I just had a five-day break from my boy, and while I love him and smiled fondly talking to him on the phone, I didn't particularly "miss" him. (Hard to admit, but true.) And adjusting back to real life today was hard. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. man i would love it if someone took you-know-who for a weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete