Ten years ago, it was sunny and warm, and I was the bride on the corner.
I got married at the church I grew up in, and as a little girl, I remember driving by on Saturday afternoons and seeing the receiving line and the beautiful bride smiling and laughing and loving life in her gown. And I wanted to be her.
Ten years ago, I was. My wedding was all that I wanted it to be...it was perfect. Laid back, calm, wonderful. Family, friends, husband.
And ten years later, I am not quite that same girl. Life has changed sooooo much in ten years.
But I'll tell you what has not changed...that husband of mine.
I love him so much more than I did that day. I remember people telling me marriage got better, but when you're 22, you can't imagine better. How could it be better? But it is. It totally is better. I read some survey in a parenting magazine about marriage after kids, and one of the answers was "Never better!" (which 27% of people chose). Nate and I discussed that survey, and agreed that we are at that point...never better!
It hasn't always been easy...we have had some hard moments/days/weeks/months, just like any marriage does. My grandpa told me once, around his 60th anniversary, "We've been married 60 years, and 50 of them have been great!" I have remembered that often. The knowledge that it doesn't have to be perfect all the time, coupled with the experience that it isn't perfect all the time, and knowing that no matter what, we will still love each other. After 10 years, we have weathered some storms. We have gone through a lot...kids (ummm, triplets!), houses, friends, parents...you name it. We have grown together. We have matured together. We have become less selfish, and have worked on meeting the other person's needs. We have seen the best of each other (and the worst of each other!). We have seen each other love our children...which is such an amazing way to see each other!
So happy anniversary to my sweet husband. What a blessing he is to me, to us. Can't wait to spend the next ten (ok, more than ten!) years with him.
i drove by that day and saw you out on the steps of the church! i know i've told you before, but just wanted to remind you! and yes, you looked really happy! you made me cry in my car. :)
ReplyDeleteI remember that day too! You were a beautiful bride!!! And I love your grandpa's advice. We just went to a wedding recently where they honored the longest married couple on the dance floor (ended up being the bride's grandparents--62 years!), and the DJ asked the wife for advice. Without missing a beat, she said, "Patience!" :) We all laughed.
ReplyDelete