Saturday, May 29, 2010

It sounded good...

This morning we decided to take all the boys down to Soulard Farmers Market.  I have actually never been (even though I grew up here!), and thought we might get some good produce. 
We took the wagon, and we had a great time.  The boys loved looking at everything, loved the musicians, loved the donuts we bought them.  And everyone else loved looking at them.  We played at the playground before we left.  It was a fun 2 hour trip, and it killed the morning. 
I got 3 lemons, a pound of green beans, 2 pounds of grapes, 3 boxes of blackberries, and 10 avocados for $10.  A great deal! 
We came home and made fresh lemonade and had fruit salad for lunch. 
And then I got a hankering.  Those avocados, mmmm....guacamole.  Mmmmm.....fajitas.  Mmmmm......sopapillas.  Mmmmm....margaritas. 
So I ran out to WalMart and got a few more ingredients, then came home to start working.   
The avocados were cheap because they were very ripe, and some were too ripe to even use.  No worries, I got enough for the guac. 
I found a good recipe for a fajita marinade, and it turned out good. 
I made yummy frozen margaritas, a very rare treat in our house.  I can probably count on one hand the number of times we have bought alcohol. 
I made the sopapillas, but messed up (I apparently didn't acutally read the recipe, I just kind of made it up).  Luckily I just added some more flour. 
But then it fell apart...thankfully the little boys had just gone down.
I haven't fried stuff in a looooong time.  So I am not a hot oil expert.  It was hard to keep the temperature right, so it was too hot, then not hot enough.  When it was too hot, the smoke detectors took turns going off.  Then we had to open the windows to try to air it out.  The first sopapillas ended up flopping in, resulting in hot oil down my shirt and pants (goodbye to those, now), on my face (OW!) and foot.  And they didn't even turn out great (I think my baking soda is too old, and since I kind of messed up the recipe...).
Bummer. 
At least dinner was good, as were my drinks.  Dessert might have been asking a little too much! 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, so glad you went...it's fun, isn't it? And doesn't it kind of feel like you're exposing your kids to a cultural experience? =) And you gotta love the mini donuts!

    Sorry to hear things fell apart. Seems like that happens, doesn't it...going along fine, and then WHAM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try making sopapilla cheesecake. It is really good and very simple. Just search for it on google. It is made with crescent rolls and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete