Sunday, May 2, 2010

Game Face

Last night I went grocery shopping by myself (Aldi and Walmart).  This is what my "gotta get away" time has evolved into...8:00 on Saturday night, me grocery shopping by myself.  Well, it is what it is.  Anyway, as I was checking out, I was chatting with the woman in front of me and she asked me how many children I had.  I simply said "four" instead of "a four year old and one year old triplets".  I was amazed at how I felt saying it, not to mention her response...or lack thereof.  She responded, "yes, you probably do enjoy your quiet evenings grocery shopping!". 
It took me awhile to figure out why my simple answer meant so much to me. 
It takes so much work to get out the door with all my kids.  I do it all the time, because I hate to be cooped up.  But it is work...8 pairs of shoes, 4 seatbelts, at least one crying child as we try to get out, normally an argument with Z during the loading (because he is dawdling), potty check, diapers, milk cups, snacks, getting the right stroller loaded for wherever we're going.  And that is just if we have a quick errand to run...sometimes we have to get lunches packed, lunch seats in the car, backpacks...etc. 
And the last thing I have to get, that I didn't consciously realize until last night, is my Game Face.  It takes a lot of emotional energy to get out of the car sometimes. 
When we go somewhere, the LEAST we get is stares.  Sometimes those are kind stares, some smiling stares.  Some pity stares, some crazy stares. Some curious stares, some laughing stares.
If I am in the mood for eye contact with people (sometimes I am not, so I just keep my head down and ignore the stares), then I get comments. 
Most of the time we get kind comments, and over time, I have come up with my typical response...  "God bless you! (He sure has!)  You sure have your hands full (Yes I do!)  What a great wagon!  (Yup, we love it!)  They are so cute!  (We like 'em!)  All boys?  (Yup, 4 of them!).  Were you planning on 3?  (Nope, it was a surprise!--really, who "plans" for 3?!)  So I guess you're done?  (We do have a lot!--how is this your business?)"  It is intentional that all of my responses end with an exclamation mark, and are said with a smile.  All part of the Game Face (and part of my general attitude, as well).  It just means I can't let my guard down while I'm out. 
We have had a few negative comments, too.  I don't have responses to these...how do you come up with those on the spot?  Most of the time I am just so sad for the people saying it, and I realize that sometimes people just talk and don't think about what they're saying (I'm guilty of this too).  "I thought my life was bad!  I'm so sorry.  I hated my one, I couldn't handle four.  That's why I didn't want to use fertility drugs." 
We also have gotten a few pretty funny comments.  My two favorites?  In the triple jogger, when the boys were wearing coordinating coats and matching hats, I had one woman say, "Huh.  They almost look like triplets."  That same trip, another woman, "So did you have them each a year apart?"  (HUH?!)
We have also had people want to take pictures of us.  Not quite sure about this...some people have just started snapping away, and some people have asked.  Bizarre.  Not sure what they want to DO with the pictures of my kids...really, you can just google triplets and you'll find some pictures.
Now, I am not saying I would not be amazed by seeing triplets either, if I didn't have them.  I totally would be.  So I am not in any way, shape, or form blaming people for staring at us (even if it is subtle) or for making kind comments to us.  I do get annoyed when people make negative comments or ask personal questions, but again, I don't think that they realize what they are doing, so I don't really blame them.
So last night, I was normal.  I was ordinary.  I was just a woman with 4 kids...not a spectacular thing.  I love my children, I would not have my life ANY different...but it was nice to be normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment